Thursday, January 27, 2011

Books, Books, Books

A goal I had for myself for 2011 was to read more books -which I am doing! I really enjoy spending time reading, and I didn't have any time in 2010 to read much for fun.

So far in 2011, I've read these three books:



Storyline:
They say you can't have your cake and eat it too. But who would want a cake they couldn't eat? Just ask Emma Rae Travis about that. She's a baker of confections who is diabetic and can't enjoy them. When Emma meets Jackson Drake, the escapee from Corporate America who is starting a wedding destination hotel to fulfill a dream that belonged to someone else, this twosome and their crazy family ties bring new meaning to the term "family circus." The Atlanta social scene will never be the same!

Kayla's Rating:
3.5 out of 5
It was a good chicky-lit read, but I could have stopped reading at any point and not felt the need to finish it. The storyline never really went much of anywhere, and when it did, it was stuff you were expecting to happen eventually.


Storyline:
(I seriously didn't know this was being made into a Katherine Heigl movie when I picked it out at the library ... I'll for sure go see it!)
Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She's made a mistake so huge, it'll wreck any chance of a partnership. Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she's mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they've hired a lawyer-and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can't sew on a button, bake a potato, or get the #@%# ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope-and finds love-is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake. But will her old life ever catch up with her? And if it does…will she want it back?

Kayla's Rating:
3.5 out of 5
Same with this book, it was entertaining, but not "amazing." It was an unbelievable storyline; there is no way the Samantha from the beginning of the book would turn into the domestic Samantha. It happened too quickly to be believable. Same with her and Nathaniel's romance.


Storyline:
Maddie Faraday's life would be perfect--if it weren't for — her cheating husband — her suspicious daughter — her gossipy mother — her secretive best friend — her nosy neighbors, — and that guy she lost her virginity to twenty years ago... — If you think small-town life can be boring--think again. There are complex social rules: there are certain people with whom you fraternize and those you don't, and, of course, there is the all-powerful gossip. Everyone knows everything about everyone else. Don't they? That's what Maddie Farraday thinks until she finds a pair of black crotchless panties in her husband's car that don't belong to her. That's it; Maddie's had it. She's ready for change, and the first thing she's going to do is divorce her no-good, philandering husband Brent. But then everything goes haywire: Brent turns up dead, Maddie's daughter wants a dog, her best friend is suddenly acting very strange, and Maddie's secret boyhood crush, bad boy C. L. Sturgis, arrives in town after a 20-year hiatus--and he's as sexy as ever.

Kayla's Rating:
5 out of 5
I absolutely loved this book. I was expecting a light chick-lit book, but it was heavy, deep, and made me think. It's filled with so many emotions, heavy situations, has mystery, and at times, humor! A good, good, GOOD read.



1 comment:

Mrs. Boom said...

So funny, I have read all three and JUST finished Always the Baker this week. I wish they had ended it with a resolution though, even if it was predictable!