Thursday, October 04, 2007

Very Cool

Mrs. B,
I was in your fifth grade class at Washington Elementary school in ____ around 11 years ago. I am now in my senior year at UW-Stevens Point majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Health Education. I will student teach next year and graduate in May 2009.

Yesterday in a class, we were discussing student motivation and the professor asked us to recall our "best" teacher through our K-12 experience, and instantly, I thought of you. I just wanted to take this time to thank you for being a wonderful teacher and not only influencing my educational path (and future career!), but also influencing my life in other ways. You always made everyone feel important and you cared about the interests of you students. In my case, that was with my story writing. :-) Hopefully, when I have students of my own, I will be able to bring in what you have taught me into my own classroom.


Thank you again!
Have a wonderful day!
-Kayla



--------------------------------

Dear Kayla,

You made my day! You made my week! You made my month! How absolutely wonderful it was to receive your message. It actually brought tears to my eyes to know you remembered me and thought enough of me to send me an e-mail. I am so glad you have chosen a career in education. We need more bright, caring people like you to work with our children. I hope when you are a teacher, you will have a former student let you know that you had a positive impact on his/her life. That is the greatest reward of being an educator. It's why we do what we do... but, we don't always know if we are making a difference. Thank you.

I got together with Miss B.B. and Ms. Bran this summer. They both have retired from Washington School. It was terrific to see them again. I love teaching here at _____, but I have fabulous memories and many good friendships from my days in _____. My husband and I have 3 children... our eldest is a freshman in high school and our youngest is a fourth grader. Our only son is in 8th grade. As you can imagine, my evenings are filled with their many activities. I taught one year of 7th grade language arts here at ____, and I've been teaching fourth grade for the last 7 years. If I can ever be of assistance to you as you begin your teaching career, please ask. I'd be honored! I have a student teacher fourth quarter this year. Student teaching is a very important part of your college education---I hope you have a good experience!


Thanks again for contacting me, Kayla.

With my best wishes for you always.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ,, in both of your letters to each other ,, I could actually feel the emotions. That is so cool that you could contact your previous teacher ,,, and so awesome that she wrote you back. Thank you for sharing this with all who read your blog!!

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I am seriously crying. Beautiful! sniff sniff. I tried finding my former teacher about a month ago, but he is on leave or something for the year. Wish I could tell him the same things :)

Michele said...

Girl you rock! So good to contacted your old teacher just to let her know that! Need more people like you out there. teachers need to know that cos obviously you know they dont get paid much they do it cos they love it and and knowing they made a positive influence in that students life is why they are a teacher, its good they know these things

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Kayla . . . inspires me to get in touch with one of my teachers.