Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Green?

I swear, I never thought I would have jumped on this little bandwagon about "being green" and "saving the planet." And, honestly, I'm hardly there.

My motive is mainly just to re-use and do things to save more money more than "saving the world."

What are some other suggestions you can offer that save you money?

These are some things I have done lately that I never cared about in the past

  • Water/Drink Bottles: I used to use a NEW one everyday and throw it away EVERY DAY. Now I just reuse them. Saves $ not having to buy bottled water. (A duh, I know, but I just didn't care before).
  • Turn off lights
  • If I used to use 2 lights in a room, I just use one now
  • Turned down the heat LOW in the winter....we're talking 63 degrees people.
  • Don't go to Madison or bigger cities shopping....just stay home and don't buy much
  • Simply don't buy food that I only eat 1/2 of before it spoils (which is bad, because now I'm getting way less nutrients....bad...the freezer at my apartment sucks, so even frozen stuff gets icky fast.)
  • No more paper cups/plates...used to use these all the time and be lazy
  • Turn water off when brushing teeth (I NEVER used to do this)
  • Open up more drapes/blinds to let warm sun in
  • Use let shampoo/conditioner...hair still turns out the same
  • Don't impulse shop!

Things I Need/Want to Work On:

  • Using up more scraps scrapbooking instead of throwing away
  • Not buying so much coffee; should just find an excellent bean and buy a bunch and make it at home...but I swear, it never tastes the same
  • Making lists and going to get items from the store less often
  • Impulse shopping...those little things add up, only if they are a couple bucks
  • Eating out AT ALL....nobody needs to do it, and even though I only eat out once about every 2-3 weeks....I could save that money....I could save those calories

1 comment:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Congrats on your efforts! Everything you can do is an important step :)