Ok, so this is kind of funny.
I hate the new Facebook chat. However, tonight I was messaging my dad, and I saw this picture pop up in the chat from over a year ago that I sent to him. And here I thought I had gotten rid of all pictures of this beautiful ring!
Background Story:
So, I think everyone knows I am obsessed with diamonds. Large ones. In rings. For the left hand. On the ring finger. Last May, I purchased this ring on a whim from Kesslers Diamonds. My mom (also a diamond fanatic) and I went in "just to look," and I walked out with this beauty. A 1.12 carat center stone, with 12 side stones each at 1/8 carat. I had about 18 weddings ahead of me at this point, and I thought I deserved this ring to replace my engagement ring. (For the price tag of $6,500).
So, to make a long story short, I ended up returning this ring about 2 weeks later. Reasoning? Did my husband get MAD?! No, that wasn't the reason. He knows I work hard, and it was okay with me spending my business funds on something I really loved.
The reason was because we had found mold in the bathroom, and decided to renovate it. AND, this is going to sound weird, but I seriously missed wearing my original engagement ring! It meant a lot, a LOT more to me than I ever realized. I figured if I felt that way, I should probably not keep it (and use the money for something more useful, like our house!).
Thank goodness Kessler's has such an amazing return policy! (I'm sure the salesman wasn't too happy, however!)
So anyway, just made me giggle that this photo popped up, and reminded me of my silly ring experience! I had deleted all photos of the ring, because I was sad that I took it bad, because it was so big and gorgeous and sparkly and amazing.
Will I ever get an upgrade from my original engagement ring? Probably. But I've turned into a SUPER saver in the past year, and there are physical things I want more in life than a huge ring. Like my kids' college fully paid for. Money invested for our retirement. A house in the country with a natural light studio.
Until then, I'll just enjoy the good stuff I have! :)

My original engagement ring
1 comment:
Your last paragraph sounds strikingly like me... "there are physical things I want more in life than a huge ring. Like my kids' college fully paid for. Money invested for our retirement. A house in the country with a natural light studio."
When we got engaged we were young (20) and poor (who am I kidding... we're still poor HAHA!). And at that time none of my friends were engaged and I really wasnt into wearing jewelry- big rings to be exact. So I personally picked out my ring... 1/3 carat middle stone and 4 side stones. Teeeny tiny now that I look at it. And even though at the time I thought it was "enough", we did say that for my 1st Mother's Day I'd get a new stone to replace the center stone. Well.... I've had 5 Mother's Days and it just seems like there are so many more important things to spend $5-$10k on than a diamond. So, instead I buy cheap rings (like $10 CZ rings at Target) and they suffice my obsession with big honkin stones- at least until they wear out or the stone falls out HAHAA! But funny thing is... EVERYONE will comment when I wear a fake ring... like "OMG your ring is gorgeous!" And I just smile and say "Thanks!" HAHA!
Post a Comment