Monday, August 08, 2011

Long Time, No Blog!

Well, HELLO to anyone who is reading this!
This blog has been dead for quite some time ... but with Baby Filip arriving in around 11 weeks ... things are bound to get a little more exciting around here!

Baby's name will be Bennett. Did I ever mention that here? I don't remember. Anyway, yep, Bennett Allen Filip. Allen is Chris' middle name. I'm lukewarm on the middle name, but it's important to Chris, so I am just going to be okay with it! :)

As you can see, I am 29 weeks now and very much looking forward to meeting baby! Around 72 more days to go! At this point, I am more anxious than uncomfortable ... but I am sure the uncomfortable stage will be making its entry in the next few weeks! (One can only hope that it won't happen ... but it's bound to, right!?)



Hmmm ... what else is new?

Work - School Job:
I have about a week and a half before work begins again. I have some trainings and meetings and such here and there before then, but "work" officially begins again on August 25! Then only two months of work, and I'll be off for another two months being a Mom! If the timing of everything works out with Baby being born, I plan to take my maternity leave from approximately Oct 22-Dec 16. Then, I'll go back to work for four days, and then have off for another 10 days over Winter Break, and then really come back full time after the 1st of the year. I hope my little plan works out ... where I'll get to "try" work for 4 days and then get a little break again ... so I can ease into "doing it all" full time. One can only hope it turns out this way!

Work - Kayla Richards Photography:
Ah, the joy of being a pregnant photographer! (Not.So.Much!) Wedding season really hasn't been terrible as I originally thought it would be - I just tire so easy and it's hard to stay motivated while shooting a wedding on your feet all day long. I luckily booked myself lighter (by my choice) than I have been the past couple years. I have shot 6 weddings this year, and I have only 4 to go! My last wedding will be at 36 weeks, on September 24! It's not really the weddings that are causing me most of the stress, it's the idea of upcoming sessions AND weddings filling up my weekends (which means very, very few days off until maternity leave once school starts again). My summer has been fairly quiet, and now it seems everything is coming together at once: home stretch of pregnancy + going back to work + most of my sessions happening at this time up until the end of the pregnancy. (I must plan all of this better with the next pregnancy!)

In Other News:
Something that's been keeping me entertained while editing business photos has been Pinterest! Yeah. I'm obsessed. It's awwwwwesome! I'm sure I'd get more editing done if I just didn't open this website up while working! Ah, oh well! What's the quote again ... "It wasn't wasted time if you were doing something you enjoyed?" Something like that!

Here are a few Pins of things I'd like to try:

Obviously, for when we are closer to Halloween! (I should have a newborn by Oct 31st this year!) I think it will be cute to get a small, medium, and large pumpkin - and paint our first name initial on each (C -Chris, K-Kayla, & B-Bennett) and put 'em on the front steps!

Another Halloween idea ... not sure if I will REALLY make this or not, but how cute would it be to have some newborn shots of my little guy dressed up in a candy corn costume for his 1st Halloween? LOL.

I love this simple idea! I wonder though, does anyone know if the dry erase marker really comes off of glass as easily as it does from a white board? Another question...now where does one find frames in that shape? So cute! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!

Yes, I know, it's just a card. However, I have done ZERO crafting in the past year or so (maybe more). A reminder that crafting is easy ... and that having a stock of cute handmade birthday cards on hand is never a bad idea!

These letters are an idea for Bennett's room ... I like how cozy and soft they look. I have a white wooden "B" in his room right now ... but I could wrap it with yarn like this. If I ever wanted to it just be white again, I could just take the yarn off.

OH and the FOOD! Pinterest really, really, really makes me hungry sometimes! And this cocktail? Is it bad that I admit my pregnancy craving has been COCKTAILS!??! I've been thirsting for magaritas, wine, and other fruity concoctions!
I was never a lush before pregnancy, but any means ... but a nice cocktail sounds so wonderful! However, who knows how long it will be before I can have one! I know they say you can have ONE drink right after nursing ... and then letting it settle in your system for a few hours before nursing again ... but I don't know how I feel about consuming alcohol at all while nursing ... ah, another topic to ponder some other time!
For now, I'll just enjoy my glass of iced splashed with virgin pomegranate syrup and caffeine free Sierra Mist, lol!


Two handprint ideas for baby ... his room is ocean themed, and I think making his newborn handprints and doing the crab thing would make a cute little framed art piece for his room. However, I'm thinking something a bit more simple than that example! Maybe just the hands, and then decorate the crab's face and have a white background.

I also LOVE the black and white handprints ... where baby's hand is inside the parent's hand ... aww!


Okay, that's all for today!
Hopefully I'll have more stuff to post soon!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

WHEW It's about time we got a belly pic! You look adorable! So much in this post I want to comment on. So, let's see...

1) LOVE the name Bennett. I also think Allen is adorable for a middle name. We almost used that for P's middle name as it was my great great grandma's last name.

2)Your maternity leave plan sounds perfect! I had Porter the end of February. And I had just finished student teaching so I stayed home until the middle of May and then went back to sub for a couple weeks. It was really nice to go back and it seemed like perfect timing. Of course, I only had to work a few weeks and then had the summer off :)

3) Pinterest: Yes, the dry erase will come off. We keep a dry erase marker in our bathroom and write notes on the mirror (or I write things down I need to remember that I think of while doing my makeup/hair and then add it to a paper list later). Wipes right off!

4) I bookmarked that same crab idea for the boys this week :) FYI Newborns are SUPER hard to get a good handprint b/c they scrunch their hands up so much. But, it can be done!

5) Halloween costume.. SUPER cute.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

You look great, Kayla!! How exciting to have a fall baby and Pinterest has so many cool things to look at. I love the name Bennett, it is my nephew's name :)